Friday, February 21, 2014

Happy Hour Gets Hot in Bangor: Blaze ~ Craft Beer and Wood Fired Flavors

One of the many reasons Amy & I make a good duo when hunting for our next happy hour spot is that we are both super adventurous and crazy when it comes to food. My foodie partner in crime just got back from Vietnam and filled me in on the extent of her meal adventures. Let's just say that is a blog post entirely on it's own.

When this happy hour blogging adventure began, it all started at Blaze Bangor. Amy arrived back into Bangor after being in Vietnam for 4 months and we agreed to meet at Blaze to catch up. This happy hour is one that we stumbled into completely by chance. [Blaze had just opened at this point so the menu items and deals may have changed. I'm dreaming up a second trip right now to find out for certain - Stay tuned...] half price cocktails, 25% off appetizers and raw oysters for $1.25. It was a night of indulgence. I love it when people squirm at what I am daring enough to eat and drink. I'm not afraid of exotic foods or trying a craft beer with some crazy name like Smutty Nose.

Here are the goods:



Duck Fat Poutine
I was all over this. Poutine is one of my favorite guilty pleasures when it comes to food! This is a staple in Northern Maine and when I saw a duck fat version of this on the menu I had to taste it. The name is exactly what it means: the fries and gravy are cooked with duck fat! Amy and I both loved this.



 Raw oysters on the half shell
I love anything seafood. And to my knowledge, there aren't any restaurants in Bangor that serve raw oysters like this. [If there are places in or around the area I would love suggestions - or just good places to get seafood in general!] Served on the shell with lemon, horseradish and cocktail sauce - some of my favorites.


The craft beer selection is absolutely insane. There are over 2 dozen taps with a variety of micro brews to try. I did get a brown ale that was nutty in flavor and just absolutely smooth. I want to say it was a Smutty Nose brew but things got a little hazy somewhere between the food, the cocktails and the beer. Don't worry, when I go back I will pay more attention..like I said - night of indulgence...


Thai Sweet Chili Wings
Meet the hottest wings that I have ever had. I am a hot sauce fanatic. I love making my food spicy. I have been known to eat hot peppers like candy. But these wings burned me! Luckily, I remembered a trick from Man vs. Food, in which you rip the meat from the bones instead of putting your lips to the wing. We had to ask for a side of blue cheese to ultimately save the day. I would not order this sauce again but would try one of the more mild options.


Pink Gin and Tonic
Pink and delicious looking, a little too sweet for my taste but very good.

Overall, we had a really good experience. The response from Bangor to this restaurant seems to be pretty positive. The restaurant is booked with reservations all the time, and it is recommended to make one. The bar is pretty spacious and makes for a very nice spot to cozy up to for a very brilliant meal. This is food with passion and the atmosphere is beautiful. I really hope to see great things for Blaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment